Localizing blótr

A place for guests who don't speak Polish
Ein Ort für Gäste die nicht sprechen Polnisch

Localizing blótr

Postprzez bil » czwartek, 23 sierpnia 2012, 21:58

Local Blót

Since starting in reconstructionism, I have been a proponent of the idea that at least some blótr should be localized to the region in which one lives. I stuck this idea at the tail-end of Germanic Spirituality, 2003 (and now that I look at it, I see all the spelling errors and typos):

“. . . it would seem prudent to blót at times specific to the region in question. For example, mid-August in New Mexico when the first crops of grain, blue corn, and chilis are at their high point and it would seem reasonable then to celebrate this fact at the same time as the rest of the non-heathen community.”

So, I got to thinking this AM. From the 1st week of Aug. into September, one of the most favorite and memorable New Mexican events, is the smell of chilis roasting. Most chilis are roasted now at the grocery store when the chili-roasters come into town and, unfortunately, this is done over a propane flame rather than charcoal or wood coals, and the propane leaves somewhat of a 'oily' flavor on the skins.

I feel that chili-roasting time is a huge event in NM and should be celebrated (which it is, to a degree, by the locals) by the heathen community with a blót to our beloved 'Dunner' and sundry land-wights involved in bringing the chilis to fruition.

I'm thinking that wood or charcoal roasting of chilis really should be done (for the flavor) with gathering together, music, feasting, handmade tortillas also baked over wood, and a blót of thanks. Everyone can bag the chilis for freezing or hang them to dry. The chilis can be eaten fresh in tortillas along with meat and calabacitas y frijoles. The chili-peels along with some tortillas could be burnt in thanks.

To me, this is such a good idea (and since I need chilis for the year), I'm planning this Labor Day (American) to do such a thing. I've got a fire pit at the house, and I've got the gumption. Anyone willing to join in is welcome; I've got plenty of space for sleeping and camping.

Lewwe woohl un faahr mit de Gedder,
bil
lewwe woohl un fahr mit de Gedder,
bil
bil

Re: Localizing blótr

Postprzez Vrede » piątek, 24 sierpnia 2012, 08:46

It is very resonable - make a blot when You have a good reason and special occasion. Don't follow the specific date in calendar but look around at the nature, weather etc.

You made me hungry... :-D I love chilli and I would like to try one day those from New Mexico ;-D
Vrede

Postprzez Szerszen » piątek, 24 sierpnia 2012, 09:57

Yes, I fully agree with you - there is no sense to have a blot for "first snow", when you don't see snow in any time for the whole year. But there is high sense to follow the local nature rhytm and have localized blots.
Skalat maðr rúnar rista, nema ráða vel kunni
Szerszen

Postprzez Vrede » piątek, 24 sierpnia 2012, 10:35

Bil, You've been in AFA, so could You explain, where does their calendar come from? Why there are so exact dates? Why there is so many holidays?
I assume that most of them have been invented by someone and agreed with the other members of AFA, for example: Ragnar Lodbrok Day or Day of Remembrance for Guthroth etc, but I'm not sure.
Vrede

Postprzez bil » piątek, 24 sierpnia 2012, 16:25

Vrede napisał(a):Bil, You've been in AFA, so could You explain, where does their calendar come from? Why there are so exact dates? Why there is so many holidays?
I assume that most of them have been invented by someone and agreed with the other members of AFA, for example: Ragnar Lodbrok Day or Day of Remembrance for Guthroth etc, but I'm not sure.

Their calendar goes back to the days of the original Ásatrú Free Assembly. Steve McNallan is a former Catholic and for some reason he liked their calendar filled with all kinds of Saints' days. I think he picked the ninth of the month (mostly) because it is 3 x 3; a couple of the days are actually real like Eirik the Red's. The feast days were all taken from the Wiccan Calendar. The calendar was acceptable to Stephen Grundy who then stuck them in the original version of the RoT's Our Troth]/i] and his [i]Teutonic Religion. Most heathens that I know completely disregard the entire calendar system preferring to go along with one that is more appropriate to their own locale.

lewwe woohl un faahr mit de Gedder darrich's Yaahr,
bil
bil
bil

Postprzez bil » piątek, 24 sierpnia 2012, 22:46

Vrede napisał(a):Bil, You've been in AFA, so could You explain, where does their calendar come from? Why there are so exact dates? Why there is so many holidays?

I apologize that I didn't look at the link. The runic year comes with the assumption that runes showed up 250 yrs. before 1 BC. The names of the months are a conglomeration between those from our American almanacs and German- American calendars and the rest is some BS filled in by other wannabees. The whole thing is BS -- roll with what you Poles have. It'll work just fine. :D

I am Pole biased, though, having grown up as an honorary one :D Call BS where you see it, give me the info and I write about it.

You want a calendar? Look at your year and figure it out from there. Hint: Polacks and Krauts are pretty much the same except the language!

Ignore the AFA calendar as being a load of crap.

Pay attention to your countryside instead.

lewwe woohl un faahr mit de Gedder darrich's Yaahr,
bil
bil
bil

Postprzez Szerszen » sobota, 25 sierpnia 2012, 08:10

@]:D
Skalat maðr rúnar rista, nema ráða vel kunni
Szerszen

Postprzez KozioU » sobota, 25 sierpnia 2012, 11:45

bil napisał(a):Pay attention to your countryside instead.

That's exactly what I do. One of first blots my family ever did was the day the first snow appeared, because that's an important thing for us.
A furore Normanorum libera nos, O Domine!
KozioU

Postprzez Vrede » niedziela, 26 sierpnia 2012, 13:06

I don't want AFA calendar ;-) I just didn't understand WHY they did it this way ;-)
We make blots, when we feel that this is the right time for it... That's the way it works best for me.
Vrede

Postprzez bil » niedziela, 26 sierpnia 2012, 16:43

Vrede napisał(a):I don't want AFA calendar ;-) I just didn't understand WHY they did it this way ;-)
We make blots, when we feel that this is the right time for it... That's the way it works best for me.

Thank you. That is the way it should be. Keep it up!

lewe woohl un faahr mit de Gedder,
bil
bil
bil

Następna strona

Powrót do International corner